Updated: Apr 16
Need more breastmilk? Or want to get a head start on breastmilk production? These are your magical and tasty solution! These delicious cookies are packed full of natural galactogogues (milk production boosters).
Healthy ingredients like Brewers yeast, oats and flax help to boost your milk making naturally, all the while disguising themselves behind delicious chocolate chips. Bake these during pregnancy and freeze them to have at the ready for Delivery day, when you want to build a supply of milk in the freezer or give them as a gift to a new mommy friend. If they've been out for a while and get dry, just pop them in the microwave for a heated and gooey cookie!
Tip: don’t have brewers yeast or wheat germ in your pantry? Try a health food store like Healthy Foods and More or Bulk Barn! I got everything I needed at Bulk Barn!
– 2 tbsp flax meal
– 1/2 cup water
– ½ cup brown sugar
– 3 eggs
– ½ cup Brewers Yeast
– 1 tbsp Wheat germ
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp salt
– 2 ½ cups of Old Fashioned oats
– 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (or milk chocolate if you prefer)
– 1 cup coconut oil.
– 2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Mix flax with water in small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
3. Beat coconut oil, brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Add eggs, beat to incorporate. Stir flax seed mixture into the butter mixture.
4. Mix flour, brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, in a separate bowl; add to oil mixture and stir until just combined. Fold oats and chocolate chips into the dough.
5. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet. I did mine slightly bigger and squished them flat halfway through baking.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges are golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Eat and Enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from the original by the wonderful Maggie Hilton. To see the original recipe, visit www.balancingbirthbaby.com
Maggie Hilton PN Dip., BScN, RN, Co-Owner, Childbirth & Early Parenting Educator, Postpartum Doula
Maggie entered nursing as a career with the intent to help women and their families bring their babies into the world.
Over the last 6 years of her nursing career she has done so as a labour and delivery nurse, supporting women and their families through birth process, helping women understand the changes to their bodies, assisting with breastfeeding and teaching families how to care for their infants.
Maggie has 5 years of Childbirth Education experience helping to prepare families for the miracle of birth through prenatal education. Maggie also teaches maternal nursing courses at a local Community College.
Maggie has two young children of her own, one of whom was born at home, one in hospital. Maggie’s unique experience as a nurse and mother, combined with her passion for assisting women to have the most fulfilling birth possible, lends itself to being an excellent educator as she sees the importance of balancing both the holistic and medical aspects of birth.
Contact Maggie: email@example.com